Sunday, June 26, 2011

Nicolas Poussin's Nymph with Satyrs


So, there I am, still searching for "Art, romanticism", and, one path leading to another, I wound up with Nicolas Poussin in London's National Gallery.

The work in question: Nymph with Satyrs, about 1627, oil on canvas, 66.4 x 50.3 cm, acquired in a bequest from Holwell Carr in 1831. The National Gallery's online description of said work: "The subject of this painting was once thought to be Jupiter and Antiope, but in Ovid's account of the myth, the nymph Antiope was not asleep. In any event, the theme of a satyr disrobing a sleeping nymph was a common one." (Search for Image NG91 under Nicolas Poussin).

I look at the painting ... and think to myself (as I would have thought most people would, or perhaps I’m overestimating the awareness of "most people"): sleeping, is she? Has anybody actually looked at this painting? And - coincidentally - how many of them were woman? (Note to self: remind me to look up Ovid's account of the myth of Antiope; what did HE say the nymph was doing?)

I ought to point out here that I - for what it's worth - am a woman, and can attest to the fact that I have never gone to sleep with my back arched, my head thrown back, my legs wide open, my hand between my thighs and an expression of intense pleasure on my face. This is not to say that this particular configuration of limbs, extremities and expressions is unknown to me. Au contraire ... it is, in fact, a lovely position for a few other activities I'll not describe in any greater detail ... but I can say in all truthfulness that sleeping isn't one of them.

Now you might say, "Well, obviously, the National Gallery chose a more discreet manner of describing the activity in question, you silly goose ..."

Really? "The Rape of the Sabine Women"? "The Rape of Persephone?" "The Rape of Lucretia"? If they're not going to invent coy euphemisms for rape*, why invent a coy euphemism for, as Whitney would have warbled in the days when she was coherent, "the greatest love of all"? But if the National Gallery has chosen to use "sleeping" as a euphemism for "female erotic exhibitionism captured at the moment of greatest fulfillment by an otherworldly voyeur" – or some such … I guess "sleeping" is as good a cypher as any.

*I stand corrected. The people at WebArt did use a euphemism for "rape" which I’d overlooked. It's called "ravishment", as in,

"Antiope was a nymph or, according to some, the wife of a king of Thebes. She was surprised by Jupiter in the form of a Satyr while she was asleep, and was ravished by him."
Source: http://www.wga.hu/frames-e.html?/html/g/goltzius/jup_anti.html

So ... when you tell someone they look "ravishing", what you're really saying is ...? (Yes, I know, no one, with the exception of the cast of "Queer Eye", actually SAYS "ravishing" anymore, but still …)

The use of "ravish" carries the strong implication that the victim of said ravishment actually enjoyed the experience, suggesting that either (a) the good folks at Web Art have perhaps read one too many bodice rippers or (b) Jupiter actually DID have some olympian-sized attributes not generally bestowed on mankind. Who knows?

Originally published:  Oct. 3rd, 2007 at 4:28 AM

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What if she is in her bed and having an erotic dream? She is besotted sensually and the dream scenario allows her to remain asleep to enjoy her pleasure.

Chiara said...

Well, speaking as a human (as opposed to speaking for the nymphs), I have had some incredible erotic dreams in my time, culminating with the classic movie reel of volcanos erupting, fireworks exploding, close-up of voluptuous flower petals opening, geysers erupting and Meg Ryan pounding on the diner table screaming yes yes yes! (you get the idea) and while it woke me up, I still never had my hand between my thighs - the physical reaction was definitely real, but it had all been mental stimulation.

And when I tell you I really wish I could re-create that ability in my waking state, I'm not kidding. Imagine being in the world's most boring conversation with your boss who just loves to hear himself pontificate, but instead of listening, you're mentally sending yourself into the stratosphere. So when you scream yes yes yes, he just thinks you're enthusiastically supporting his latest useless project. But I digress.

According to one of those online dictionaries (sorry, I forgot to url it) a nymph is "a mythological spirit of nature imagined as a beautiful maiden inhabiting rivers, woods, or other locations" The ground in the woods IS her bed. So is she an exhibitionistic nymph, dreaming about the satyr?

I may not trust the National Gallery's interpretation, but I'll go with the author's title - she's a nymph, not a horny human. The question is: is she a horn ... er ... sexually desirous nymph having a wet dream of a satyr watching her perform the self-satisfying finger dance, or is she out there in the woods, thinking, "Finally! I'm alone. I think I'll have some fun here." and at the moment of greatest pleasure here comes a satyr thinking, "She's moaning - oh NO! Maybe she's hurt, I'll go look." and the painter (who happened to be nearby) whips out HIS equipment ... er, paintbrush, canvas, smock, easel ... and captures the whole moment for posterity. Ahhh, the possibilities are endless.