Sunday, March 16, 2014

The Ides of March, Hilaria ... and Bizarre Ballgowns

The Ides of March.  A bunch of small errands sandwiched between being nearly run down by insane motorists.  I’m lucky I got home alive ... !

Today is:  Next to Final Packing Day.  Still about 2 weeks left until the remodeling is done in New Hampshire, so my plan this weekend was to get as much packed as humanly possible today, move a chunk of it to the storage facility in Salisbury tomorrow, and another 2 chunks next weekend.  Then, the rest of it can fall to the moving guys.

Every once in a while I get invited to various celebrations, and every once in a while I attend, although it is rather a distance away – and will still be a distance away, even after I move,  Mainly the issue is the time of day they are held – they begin right at the time I’m passing out and going to sleep.  As a result, I have to make a concerted effort to stay awake for it, and I end up oversleeping for days afterwards.

Nonetheless, I’ve received a few invitations that include, “Wear your finest ritual clothes!” or some such set of instructions – which is something of a problem, since I don’t have any.  Never did.  Makes me feel like an adult dressing up for Halloween or something.  I usually end up wearing a nice shirt with jeans and make sure I have the cimaruta around my neck.  I used to think it might be nice to put on make-up and earrings  - (and an attractive fake mole and feathers sticking out of my head) - for a change, but I’m so allergic to the stuff, I end up suffering, so stopped doing that.  I do have a Venetian mask, though, coincidentally enough.

I was reminded of that today when the Real Witches’ Year brought up the issue of cords.  Have no idea why – this being the Ides of March, I would have thought they’d make mention of that instead:  sacred to Rhea (Greek Goddess of the earth, mother of Zeus), and a day to honor river sprites or nymphs. (Well, I would, if I knew any.)  Not to mention that some of us want to begin preparing for the 2-day festival of Dionysus – stocking up on wine! (gulp, gulp, gulp, *hic*!)

So naturally, The Witch’s Book of Days chirps, “As Hilaria begins, celebrate the goddess-given gifts of wit, theatre and comedy.”

The WHAT?

Ah.  No wonder I didn’t pay any attention to this:  “The modern day equivalent to the Ancient Roman Festival of Hilaria, which occurs once in a year in Britain, is Mother's day. This day is said to be the day when the ancient Greeks paid tribute to their very powerful goddess called Rhea.“
http://www.ask.com/question/occuring-once-a-year-in-britain-what-is-the-modern-day-equivalent-of-the-ancient-roman-festival-of-hilaria

Possibly my least favorite event in the entire year.  Since most mothers in the United States wouldn’t recognize “wit, theatre and comedy” if it jumped up and bit them in their collective a**es, I have no idea what the WBD was chirping about.

Oh, Roman Laughing Day!!!  According to the Brooklyn Public Library, “ the Roman festival of Hilaria or "Roman Laughing Day," ... celebrates the resurrection of the god Attis.” Not quite sure why that event was hilarious, but there you go.
(http://brooklynology.brooklynpubliclibrary.org/post/2012/04/02/All-Fools-Day.aspx)

Witches of the Craft
handed out correspondences:  The Hilaria (Roman).  Incense:  Violet.  Color: Coral
Have no idea what violet and coral has to do with anything.  Not fond of either one.
http://witchesofthecraft.com/tag/hilaria/

Meanwhile, Brittanica.com has a different version:

“Hilaria,  in Roman religion, day of merriment and rejoicing in the Cybele-Attis cult and in the Isis-Osiris cult, March 25 and November 3, respectively. It was one of several days in the festival of Cybele that honoured Attis, her son and lover: March 15, his finding by Cybele among the reeds on the bank of the River Gallus; March 22, his self-mutilation; March 24, fasting and mourning at his death; and March 25, the Hilaria, rejoicing at his resurrection. Some of the activities on the Hilaria resembled those associated with April Fools’ Day. November 3, the Hilaria of the Isis-Osiris cult, marked the resurrection of Osiris, husband of Isis.”
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/265677/Hilaria

Self-mutilation, eh?  That “son and lover” thing might explain why the guy mutilated himself (ew!), but does it sound like anything worth celebrating?  Uh ....no.

Furthermore, (*sigh*)  “cult”, eh?  Now you know why I make it a point to de-capitalize christian and call THEM “a cult”, and if any pursed-lip church ladies out there have a problem with it – too bad.  Do unto others, isn’t that one of your rules?

Ultimately:  what a strange day.  Betcha Caesar wasn’t all that fond of it, either.

No comments: