Tuesday, April 14, 2015

The Cowsills 50th Anniversary Concert, Il Volo Hits the 2 Million Mark; I Collapse

In one of those amazing synchronicities that always knock me flat when they happen:   I had a few cd’s on hand, ready to be imported into i-Tunes and listened to.  One of them was more of a curiosity than anything else, which is why I hadn’t rushed to get it loaded.  So I finally get around to throwing it in the drive, and start listening to the first cut.  Eyeballs popped open.  The entire concept of the first song was another version of my C’era una volta counterpoint to “Paradise Lost”, although perhaps darker than Volta, but the concept behind it was still unmistakable.  The first time I have ever heard anyone even come close to the concept.  First comment:  “Holy (bleep)!”

And the singer/songwriter?  Jason Cowsill (son of Bob), The Shape of the Journey cd.  I never expected it to be as good as it was, but it really was astonishing.  I should apologize to the guy for letting him sit on the “To be listened to when I get around to it” pile for so long.  Reminded me of Bill Miller, too -  and everyone knows Miller is a long-time favorite of mine.  Only wish:  that he’d printed the lyrics on the liner.  As it was, I had to sit there with one ear literally glued to the speaker to catch every word.  A bit annoying, actually.  But even so, it had me sitting there, seriously impressed with how close he came to the same vision I had of the birth of everything.  And all this time I had been thinking I was the only one who had that image of the REAL “big bang”, so to speak, in my mind.

And while I’m learning new things ... I learned an important piece of information about dandelion tea:  it can taste differently depending on who’s selling it to you.  Drank one batch of them from one supplier; just drank another cup from another one;  they tasted differently.  One tasted more “earthy” than the other, if that made sense.  Both tasted good; just ... different.  So, is that because the earth the dandelions were grown is has a different “flavor” to it?

Despite the fact that I woke up a few mornings ago to discover sleet, ice and snow all over the ground (you don’t know the details of my reaction to THAT discovery – none of it is appropriate for this blog), it seems to me that now is about the time to start growing the seeds in my little seed grower contraption.  You’re supposed to start them – depending on the plant – some 4 to 6 weeks before transplanting out of doors, so this is about right.

The Cutting Room - Epic Fail
The venue itself could have definitely handled it infinitely better than they did ... we stood outdoors on a long line on 32nd Street for well over an hour before even coming anywhere near the front door.  By show time (7:00 p.m.) a huge swath of people were still outside, on a line, getting totally freaked out because they thought they were going to miss the start of the concert.  No one from the venue came outside to reassure us that the concert hadn’t started, and was delayed so that they could get everyone indoors.  One person asked about it at the front of the line, and the venue tried to blame the Cowsills for the late start – luckily, no one who knew the family and their discipline and professionalism bought THAT explanation even for a second.  You heard, “That’s bullsh*t!” all the way down the line when that was passed back.  Sorry, Cutting Room – absolutely no one bought your trying to blame The Cowsills for your screw-ups.  Just saying.

Our unilateral suspicion was that they had literally no idea how incredibly popular and beloved The Cowsills were, and were taken by complete surprise at the volume of people who showed up for the concert.  In fact, we all watched as one of the Cutting Room employees walked the sidewalk close to starting time, counting people and then walked back inside with a look of serious concern on his face.  An epic fail on the part of The Cutting Room.

But the Cowsills Themselves?
I would not have missed that concert for all the (pick one):  tea in China, olives in Tuscany, oranges in Valencia, pastries in Denmark, WHATEVER!  That much energy swirling around does all sorts of things to your emotional state ... and I’d been sitting at home, alone, in such isolation for so long, it was almost a shock to my system, not only being back home in New York City – which everyone knows is simply coursing with a powerful buzzing energy anyway - but being at that concert, on that month, on that day.  The emotional impact was exacerbated by the fact that the concert was held three years (minus two days) since my brother Jim died, also in New York ... so if you don’t think that didn’t impact me emotionally, think again.  A lot of emotional things coincided, all at once.  In short, while I basically held it together outwardly; inwardly, I was an emotional high wire, twanging at everything.

As for The Cowsills, THEY were perfect.  Absolutely perfect.  Pitch perfect, note perfect, set list perfect, banter perfect, the whole package.  The audience spent the entire concert in the palm of their (collective) hand, laughing, crying, singing along and loving every minute of it.  They faced a packed room of people who absolutely adored all of them, and would have sat there all night long, if the band wanted to keep going.  The concert felt like it was over way too soon – although they must have put in a good 90 minutes, if not longer, I was not wearing a watch – but I didn’t want it to end, that’s how good it was.  Here’s a small snippet – the one and only Cowsills singing “The Rain, The Park and Other Things” at the Cutting Room, sounding every bit as wonderful as they did when the song was first released.  I'll probably be babbling happily about this wonderful concert for months to come, it was that good.


Physically – well, that’s another story.

I should never have pushed myself to go, as I did.  Woke up this morning to dual leg spasms so bad I actually fell out of bed, crying out in pain, and pulled the contents of the nightstand down on top of me.  Throughout today, spasms all throughout my legs and feet, muscles around my shins are spasming and I know that was from constantly trying to keep my balance without the walker, which I couldn’t bring with me because I had a suitcase; numbness moved up to the backs of my knees and it wasn’t there before, back spasms, the works.

I have spent today going “WTF did I do to myself?”  I don’t even want to know what I did to myself.  Thank goodness I don’t see the physical therapist until Wednesday because he will want to know when this all changed, and I don’t want to tell him what I did to provoke it.  “Stood on lines for 2 hours trying to see and meet the Cowsills, leaning on a cane until I saw black spots before my eyes and knew I was about to faint?”, “I told you not to use the cane until I told you that you could use the cane; didn’t I tell you that?!”  “Yes, I know you did, but ... you don’t understand, I REALLY wanted to see the Cowsills."

I have no defense other than, “I really wanted to go, I’ve been waiting to see them perform live for 45 years!”  I know he won’t care; I’m either going to have to lie, or get railed up one side and down the other.  And I don’t want “She deliberately disobeyed my instructions!” on my permanent medical record.  Because that is exactly what I did.  I’ve been taking muscle relaxers all day to the point where I’m dizzy, and they’re not helping.  Taking Tylenol for the pain, and it’s not even making a dent.  And I can’t even complain about it because it’s my own fault; I did it to myself.  I have two days to make up a whopper of a lie, and I really don’t want to do that, either.  (“*Duh*, I dunno, I just woke up Monday morning, and it was like this; I don’t know what happened, it’s a mystery ...”)  Hopefully, he doesn’t read blogs.

I’m the first to admit I’m an idiot who should have known better.  But you have to understand ... I REALLY wanted to see The Cowsills!

Meanwhile, the boys from Il Volo just hit the 2 million mark with Grande Amore, surprising exactly no one because the song is so beautiful.


So there you have it:  a wonderful musical weekend followed by intense physical suffering.  Here’s hoping I get my physical act together before I get yelled at.  And I still don’t regret for one second finally seeing The Cowsills live for the first time in my life, but don’t tell my physical therapist I said that.

No comments: