Friday, November 16, 2012

Incubi, Demons, Dumb Witches and True Spells

Regarding the comments:  to those who submitted legitimate comments - thank you.  If you'd like to complain that you didn't get a response, complain to the host of the blog, not the owner:  I just found these comments in my inbox yesterday (the 15th of November) and some of them had been written back in September!

In an attack of whimsy, I hung my three framed autographed photos of my young Italian tenor on the wall and, beside them, hung a much larger framed print of a rather gloomy – but aesthetically pleasing - Phaedra. Without going into much more detail than that – walking by the wall "statement" several times a day makes me smile. At least I find the humor in it, anyway. And, fortunately, keeps my ... obsession from rearing its Phaedric head again.
 
I am still on my quest to figure out why the incubus and succubus were so dramatically carried over from the christian horror of sex into the wiccan women’s horror of sex ... in other words, witches who seem to forget the fact that the christian demonic entities don’t exist in the pagan world are still squeaking, "Bad! Bad! Bad incubi!" at anyone who asks a question about them. (No joke!) Well. Correct that. The precursors to the character of, for example, Satan do exist in the Pagan world, but not the christian version of him. Satan is entirely theirs and they’re welcome to him. Because christians were (and still are) so overwhelmed with the desperate fear of sex, they created all sorts of sex demons to explain their own lust. Here’s a terrific example:

Since demons, according to the traditional wisdom, were only spirits and had no corporeal form, the incubus was presumed to come upon his physical form in one of two ways: he either reanimated a human corpse, or he used human flesh to create a body of his own, which he then endowed with artificial life. Especially mischievous and clever incubi were often able to make themselves appear in the persons of real people - a husband, neighbor, the handsome young stablehand. In one case, a medieval nun seem to have been sexually assaulted by a local prelate, Bishop Sylvanus, but the bishop defended himself on the grounds that an incubus had assumed his form. The convent took his word for it.
http://www.whiterosesgarden.com/Nature_of_Evil/Demons/List_of_Demons/H-I-J-K_contents/incubus.htm

Of course it would have been nice if, once again, someone had provided a citation for that.  From one christian writer to another, medieval or contemporary, the definitions of demons and devils and lewdness vary, so merely trying to wade through their nonsense becomes a test of your sanity.

All manner of things are happening this month as I whisper ‘sweet dreams’ to my dogwood, already missing her full parasol of leaves and flowers over my head: my guilty pleasure – the last installment of Twilight - is arriving in the theaters this month on the 16th. To heck with Teams Edward and Jacob, I’m Team Gil Birmingham and Jackson Rathbone, really. Il Volo’s sixth album "We Are Love" (counting the first one, the Spanish one, the French one, the Christmas one and the ‘Il Volo Takes Flight’ one) is due out on the 19th. The Spanish version is due out in January, so of course everyone will buy two of them – again. Blake’s Pledge cd just arrived. Mr. Signpost appeared in Cambridge on the 9th, but there was no way I could stand on line, as much of a crippled gimp as I am ... but he’s coming back to Cambridge in January, so hopefully I’ll be able to stand for longer than two minutes by then. Back to the endocrinologist on the 21st. Thanksgiving on the 22nd. Don’t know if I plan to make an effort – probably not.

Second guilty pleasure at the moment: bypassing the novels and becoming addicted to HBO’s "Game of Thrones". Absolute favorite character: Peter Dinklage’s Tyrion Lannister. He just lights up every scene, in that series – what an awesome character! And I can easily see why he won "Best Supporting Actor" for the role.


Back to my complaint about witches trying to pass nonsense off as traditional witchcraft:

I have been utterly fascinated with Faraone’s Ancient Greek Love Magic, The Greek Magical Papyri in Translation (edited by Hans Dieter Betz), Curse Tablets and Binding Spells from the Ancient World (John G. Gager), Magika Hiera: Ancient Greek Magic and Religion (Faraone) and Magic, Witchcraft and Ghosts in the Greek and Roman World (Daniel Ogden). There are more, a wealth of legitimately traditional spells, curses and magical herbs, ointments and charms.

Now, there are many of these spells which would be difficult if not impossible to perform accurately. Most of us can’t come up with, say, an upper tooth of a spotted heifer to wear as an amulet, to use an example from Ancient Greek Love Magic. So this would be the debatable portion of the spell: what would I substitute and why? What was the use of the upper tooth of a spotted heifer? What did spotted heifers represent to this society? What did cows mean? How can I accomplish the same result with something I can find today?

Not only should that be clearly written out as part of the spell for documentation purposes, it should be written out as part of the spell so that an intelligent wizard could pick up the spell, read it and say, "Wait. I have a better idea." If I provide all of the document source material, I have spared him having to go through all of the original research again, which is what just about every witch or wizard with a witchcraft book in print has done to everyone else. Wasted everyone’s time, and dumped a lot of hoohah on them.

But spells such as these should – SHOULD but aren’t – be familiar to anyone learning witchcraft, presented with respect, thusly:

1. Here is the original traditional spell (source cited). These witches MUST go back to an original source, confess they made it up themselves or be charged with fraud. In case someone missed it the first 5 times I said it, I’ll repeat: I have no issues with witches inventing their own spells. I do have issues with witches inventing their own spells and claiming or implying they’re traditional when they clearly are not. THAT is fraud.

2. Here is my variant of that spell, in detail.

3. I substituted these following ingredients or components for THOSE ingredients or components and – here’s an important part of that! - this is why I did it.

4. Herbs and other ancient references: the Greeks (or Romans or Sumerians or Egyptians or Italians or Anglos or Saxons or Irish) may have known the herb as "X"; how would we know it today? Requires "RESEARCH" and most women writing contemporary twinkie witch manuals are too dumb, fat and lazy to make the effort.

Optional inclusion: the personal Book of Shadows details: results, who the spell was used on ... those sorts of things.

I have to add that the bibliographies and source references of all of these books are awesome ... why witches writing books today got the idea that these weren’t necessary I have no idea, but most of them should be slapped upside the head ... I’d curse them with stupidity, except it appears that has already been done.

More tomorrow.

No comments: