Thursday, November 17, 2011

Day #24 in my Search for my Soulmate: Wands and Trees

I probably should have done a little more research before blowing up at the late Scott Cunningham (see last entry), thinking I was the only person on the planet who refused to subscribe to the theory that wands must be snatched from living trees:

Many wand makers prefer to only take wood that has already fallen from a tree. This can be a problem since most fallen wood is [sic] already begun rotting, unless you get storm wood (fresh wood that has fallen during a storm). If your wood can be found locally I would suggest getting storm wood, especially since the separation from the tree came during a time of great power of change…Wood from a tree that has been struck by lightning is VERY powerful, I call it Lightning Wood. This type of wood is so powerful I wouldn't suggest anyone making or using one unless they are experienced.”
www.magicwandsofwizardry.com/magic-wands_028.htm

The first thing you need is some sort of rod. Driftwood is choice because it is tough, the bark is already gone, and it is worn smooth. Make sure it’s sturdy, though. The wrong piece can shatter. If you have no access to driftwood and aren’t planning a Spring Break at the beach before the time you want to have a wand, look for a branch. Sometimes campuses have their trees and bushes trimmed and they leave the branches lying around for someone to pick up. Look for a relatively straight branch about the width of your forefinger or thumb and about 12 to 18 inches long (Some traditions call for a wand of 21 inches). …
http://www.collegewicca.com/BOSfiles/wand.html

Many books tell you to ask a tree if you may cut a branch to make a Wand, but I do not suggest this. Leave the trees alone and see what branches they have already shed on the ground. Look on the ground for a fallen branch whose shape pleases you. Peel the bark off, or you can leave some of the bark on if you like.
http://www.realmagicwands.com/MakingWands.html

The next example is an author with the improbable name of Alferian Gwydion MacLir, whose parents (if they actually named him that in the State of Minnesota) ought to be brought up on charges of getting their kid beaten up all the way through his public school years.  Let’s all hope he named himself that, and can bring himself up on charges instead:

Some among the wise insist that a wand must be cut from a living tree.  I do not think that is necessary; so-called deadwood is not dead in the spiritual sense, and the dryad in it can be awakened just as with a branch cut green.”  (Wandlore, Alferian Gwdian MacLir, page 27)

The author of the book also has a website (http://www.bardwood.com/), where he crossly forbades people from quoting him without wasting everyone’s precious time asking his permission:  “You are laid under a binding geas to ask permission before quoting material from this web site. I mean it. You don't want to break out in boils, do you? I didn't think so.”

No, but since I don't like being threatened either, I decided to applaud the man for his book comment (above), copy stuff from the book without permission, and restrict myself to copying his injunction from the web site without written permission, just to see if he'll stick to his threat to curse me with a bad case of boils.  Of course, if I knew what boils actually were, it would help. 

Meanwhile, I'm setting up a counter-spell on THIS blog to curse him with a serious case of the weeping wilties (and he's a man; I'm sure he knows that the weeping wilties are), if I break out in so much as a pimple.  COPIED WITHOUT PERMISSION ON A DARE! NYAH NYAH HYAH!!!  COME & GET ME!  (<-- hard to believe I'm actually polite and loving with trees, isn't it?)

Prepare for the counter curse!  ("Swish and flick!  Swish and flick!") ("KABOOM!) (Uh-oh, I think I'm going to need a new wand ...")

My ultimate point was:  it seems I’m not all by myself out in left field here, screaming about cutting wands out of live trees.  And my second ultimate point was:  see, I told you I was a disaster as a witch.

No comments: